Week 2 review

 What a week this was! The days are flying by and I’m sad that my project is almost over. I was really happy with the progress I made this week, both on the camp stove and baking in a conventional kitchen. It was nice to start the week baking something I know I can make very well. I’d never made 6 batches in one go before, so I was pleasantly surprised how well I was able to manage my time to make everything efficient. I was also really happy to bring something new to Bluebird this week in the form of Lemon Raspberry Baked Donuts. I’d been wanting to try the recipe for a while, and I was so happy I got the chance to! Once again I learned little things from Patty while working with her at Bluebird Thursday morning. My donuts weren’t selling at first and I asked for tape so I could move the sign advertising them to eye level. Instead, she took one of the empty pound cake plates and put the donuts on there, and moved them right up front so people browsing would see them right away. I hadn’t thought of doing that, but I think it worked better than if I had moved the sign. The wind has been a challenge this week when I’ve been using the Whisperlite. I made the executive decision not to hike this week because the bugs are out of control in the woods. Each time I put the Outback Oven over the fry bake I held my breath until it was time to check the food. A lot of the recipes I found weren’t super specific so I had to guess and hope for the best. When I was baking on the Whisperlite this week I was very glad to have a lot of baking knowledge, to begin with. I think if I had come into this project not knowing much about baking in a conventional kitchen I would be having a lot of trouble. Every time I open the oven or lift the lid off the fry bake to see what I’ve made, I get so happy and excited. I mean how many other high school seniors can say they learned to bake on a camp stove for their last few weeks of high school. I’m excited to do one more bagel day and one more backcountry day! I’m not sure what I’m going to do when, so stop by tomorrow to see what I did! - Sophie 

Comments

  1. Such a great project idea, Sophie, and one you've carried out so well! Love that you are enjoying learning with Patty and overcoming any challenges that come up. Keep up your great work for the LAST FEW DAYS OF YOUR SENIOR YEAR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bluebird day 4!

Day 9 - Donuts and Muffins oh my!

Day 6 - Making mixes